Tuesday 14 January 2014

Day 14. Couch Potato Running

I must start by saying I didn't think I would last this long with Janathon. Also by saying how cleverly I have deluded myself in recent years into believing I was exercising everyday as a means of controlling my weight, mood and menopausal symptoms. Actually the organ that has had the most exercise has been my brain, constantly modifying the plan and allowing the body to get away with doing very little. No wonder I had turned into a flabby old werewolf. Even during this month the plan has been modified many times, but I have to accept that is how I am and it comes with the territory of freelance working. Today, however, the plan changed from some sort of light exercise in the midst of a heavy teaching day to an actual visit to the gym thanks to a 90 minute lesson being cancelled. Normally I would have spent that time emailing and facebooking and lesson planning, probably with another milky coffee and a packet of crisps. Today, instead, I decided to do the programme for week four of Couch Potato to 5k on the treadmill. And I did. This included two lots of three minutes and two lots of five minutes of jogging- that's a total of 16 minutes of actual running - interspersed with 90 seconds or two and a half minutes of walking. With a five minute brisk walk as a warm-up and a three minute cool-down it came to about 30 minutes and I clocked up 3.5k. Then I did some weights for arms and upper back. Quite pleased with the jogging. Oh ... and I almost enjoyed it.

2 comments: