Monday 6 January 2014

Day 6 More Epiphanies

Epiphany Number One. I find it hard to schedule exercise into my days. Or maybe that should be I find it easy to find a reason NOT to exercise at all? Today was my first 'desk day' since the start of the silly season and I sat there trying to sort through papers so I could actually see my desk and answer emails which included several requests for singing lessons when I'm already maxed. My immediate feeling was to make more coffee and stay put until I had ploughed through the lot, rather than keep my appointment with myself to give Aqua Aerobics a whirl at midday. Frankly, had it not been for Janathon, I would have done just that, but a promise is a promise so off I went.

Epiphany Number Two. I don't actually like exercise. The gym had a very different feel to it on a Monday than it had at the weekend. In fact it was like an old folks' home with lycra, but fair play to them - these 'senior' people are keeping fit in for their twilight years. Come to think of it, at 56 (albeit possibly the youngest client in the building), that's what I'm doing too. Actually that is probably Epiphany Number Three. Sobering thought. And, what with Dryathon, I am very sober.

But back to number two. During the 45 minute class, I must have looked at the clock at least six times. I would have looked more, but the clock was behind me and it took all my concentration to stay upright during a pacey class. We did jumping jacks, spotty dogs, grapevines, jogs, walks, runs, squats, straight jumps, twisty jumps, boxing - all the things I used to do in exercise classes 20-odd years ago, but on land. I was glad of the water to support my body; the same could not be said for my bright pink swimming costume that struggled to contain my bouncing baps and belly. We then did all of the above again with weights. They looked heavy, but were actually light, being made of foam. However, in the water they assumed much more weight and resistance, but at least I was in no danger of dropping them on my toes. I wondered whether I will come to love exercise if I manage to do it every day this month. We'll see...

Epiphany Number Four. I am not as fit as I thought I was. Up to now I had felt smug about my regular brisk 5 or 6 mile walks with my friend in the flatlands of Chester and that I had coped well before Christmas with 7.5 miles on the Sandstone Trail, complete with token Cheshire hills. But my body seems to be reacting to these new exercises by aching and making me feel generally more physically tired and I'm not finding it easy. Maybe my body was to used to walking and it's in shock at being required to do something else - something more aerobic, using different muscles? On the plus side, I feel fitter (that is probably just psychological), am standing straighter (this will be good for singing) and breathing more deeply (ditto) and am sleeping like a log.

If only I could just enjoy the process, rather than the benefits...

Epiphanies  - 4         Squats, jumps, twists, runs etc - far too many to mention.

No comments:

Post a Comment