Thursday 9 January 2014

Day 9 The Law of the Changing Room

Once again a change of habit. My usual default after a morning's teaching at home and a lunchtime meeting with an actor, would have been to make a mug of tea and mess around on Facebook for a while. Or, if it was the run up to Christmas, make a mug of decaff coffee with Baileys in it. Perhaps with a chocolate to go with it. Today, I got my inadequate gym bag (a Cath Kidston shopper) of inadequate gym gear and went to do some cardio and weights. The daytime telly was on - mindless quizzes and antique shows presented by a man who looked as though he had had a run in with a bucket of creosote and the gym, at 3.30pm, was morphing from elderly day care to after-school care. I did 13 minutes on the treadmill and am proud to say that five minutes of this was actual running, well jogging, at 8kph. I know it's not much, but it is an achievement for me and I was actually liking it. And not holding onto the bars. I followed this up with 10 minutes on a bike, 5 on a cross-trainer and 30 reps of each of four lots of weights to do with arms and upper back. I don't know what they are called because I didn't have my glasses on. Also some crunches with one of those rocker things that supports your head. Then it was time to experience what I call The First Law of the Changing Room; namely that whenever you want access to your locker, people using adjacent lockers are already there, doors flung open and belongings strewn all over the place so you have to pick your way through. I marvelled at this irrefutable law, had a shower, dressed and went home. Off to the theatre now for more Snow Queening.

No comments:

Post a Comment